WCF or Windows Communication Foundation is a potential application building service that delivers immaculate service- oriented results. WCF has a revolutionary facility of transmitting asynchronous messages from one- end point to another without any hitch. However, the service end- point is described as continuous service that is primarily hosted by IIS. Nonetheless, this services could be preliminary available and hosted in an existing application.
The official format of such messages is quite simple such as XML or a single character available in the Word or can be a bit complicated as binary data streams.
Salient features of WCF are following:
- Service orientation and Security
- Service Metadata and Transactions
- Data Contracts and Durable Messages
- Multiple Message Patterns
- Extensibility, Reliable and Queued messages
- AJAX and REST support
Review the outstanding advantageous of WCF:
- Interoperable is a classy feature of WCF with respect to the other services. The services and concerned client require .NET platform as WCF shares an amazing contrast in terms of services to .NET remoting.
- Increased reliability, stability and functionality of WCF is assured as compare to Active Server Methods or ASMX web services.
- Planning as well as implementing the binding change and security
- Implementing the security model and binding change in WCF do not require a major change in coding. Just a few configuration changes is required to meet the constraints.
- It has in- built mechanism logging that ultimately saves ample of time and the other competitive technologies need to generate the coding.
- WCF proffers support and scalability for modish and contemporary as well as revolutionary World Wide Web service standards.
- It’s default mechanism of security that is entirely stringent and robust.