Web Application Programming interface of WEB API as the name depicts is a robust application programming interface that is developed, implemented or executed either for a web browser and a web server. In client- end accessible services, WEB API plays a pivotal role by generating highly responsive and accessible applications. As being a framework to generate HTTP based applications, wide- ranging services of WEB API are executed and availed by various iPhone, browsers, tablets and mobile phones because of its compatibility.
As having similar features as ASP.NET MVC, it proffers quickest action results, routings, controllers, model binders, filters and IOC containers including dependency injections. However, it has only common features to MVC but it is not practically the part of MVC. It is officially an entity that belongs to ASP.NET platform that could be used with MVC inclusive of other applications such as ASP.NET. Using it as a standalone application service is also a productive idea.
Advantageous of WEB API that can help to gear up newly constructed to gear up smarter and faster:
- WEB API generates and accepts or supports content in a broad way that is not object oriented such as PDF files or images.
- WEB API can be effortlessly hosted with ASP.NET on IIS.
- Fully responsive formats that can be managed by the Media Type Formatter of WEB API into XML, JSON and whatsoever format is the desired by the client.
- CRUD actions that are convention based supported by ASP.NET Web API functions with HTTP verbs POST, GET, DELETE and PUT.
- WEB API with ASP.NET is not specifically biased towards all browsers.
- WEB API proffers automatic support to OData and wonderfully works on OData query composition.